All About Food
Good food, good recipes, good cooking tips, good drinks,
and anything else an epicurean might dream up!
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits



It took me a few years to master the Southern Buttermilk Biscuit.. Since my husband is from the South, I took this challenge very seriously.. My first ones turned out to be paper weights.. Horrible!! Now I have them to the point of people requesting them.. My recipe is simple:



2 c. self rising flour
1/2 c. shortening
2/3 c. buttermilk or sour milk

In a medium mixing bowl put your flour, Cut in shortening until mixture resembles course crumbs. Make a well in center of dry mixture, then add buttermilk or sour milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead the dough by gently folding and pressing the dough for 10-12 strokes or until the dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter into flour between cuts.
Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are done. Remove biscuits from the baking sheet and serve hot. Makes 10-12

















9 Comments:
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...
Looks like it's a delicious biscuit. Hope you don't mind but I copied it. Have to try it sometime.
Thanks for dropping by.

Blogger Jeph said...
These look buttery on top, but I don't see mention of any butter - just the shortening and buttermilk for fat. What shortening do you use? Just Crisco?

Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...
Just butter flavored crisco. Acutal butter has a tendancy to burn, you can substitute lard.. And the color is my thing. If it isn't the right color, to me they are no good. Sometimes after you take them out of the over you can paint on melted butter right before you serve them..

Blogger Jeph said...
I picked up self-rising flour and lard, yes, lard today! Y'know how hard that is to find!?

I noticed there's a recipe for biscuits on the flour package, and it seemed real familar! So I log in here, check out yours, and they're ALMOST the same. The only difference, and it almost seems like a big one, is that your recipe uses double the amount of shortening!! Granted, it's only 1/4 cup on Pillsbury's packaging to 1/2 cup in your recipe, but that's still a good amount!

Now I'm torn. Which way do I go!? MAAAAYBE I'll do 1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco (shhhh...don't tell Steven or Peter!) and 1/4 cup lard (hey, I bought the stuff, it's getting used!)

I also picked the first zucchini and squash from the garden today. Since we're having fried chicken, mashed potatoes, country gravy (out of a pack - shhh!) and your biscuits, and just being all southern about it, I'm tempted to slice, bread and fry up my squash as well. Heck, I've got some okra in the freezer - fried okra ROCKS!! (How's your husband feel about fried okra?)

Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...
Fried Okra is just okay to him.. His favorite is acutally a non veggie.. Fried Catfish.. I call them bottom dweller fish compared to the wonderful Halibut, Cod and Salmon from the NorthWEst I was raised on..
I use Crisco because I like the texture of the biscuit better.. I don't notice a different in taste, so that is why I use that..
You can find lard easily in the mexican food for mexican's isle.. The things with Spanish on them..

Blogger Leesa said...
Oh, I bet these are wonderful!

Blogger JBoombostick said...
wow. can I say i am impressed?

Blogger Swampwitch said...
Leesa, thanks for visiting today. The biscuits look scrumptious. The first time I made biscuits, you could have used them for bricks.This is my first visit here so please be patient with my questions/comments. About your profile: transplanted from where in Texas? I've never been to Big Sky Country, but I know it must be beautiful. Organic living sounds so interesting. Do you grow your own veggies, etc.? Oh Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorites. Eric Clapton, Sheryl Crow, The Beatles, and Reba...yes !
The Thich Nhat Hanh Collection is in my house, too. I had never seen a blog until last month, so this is all new to me. How do you manage so many?

Blogger Jay said...
You make it sound so easy!