All About Food
Good food, good recipes, good cooking tips, good drinks,
and anything else an epicurean might dream up!
Thursday, May 05, 2005
My Big Fat Greek Koulourakia
More recipes from the Greek Easter Fest!

KoulourakiaTraditional Easter cookies from Greece.

1-1/2 cups butter
6 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
6 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 pounds all-purpose flour

Beat butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until sugar has dissolved and batter is smooth. Stir baking powder and baking soda into 2 cups flour and add to batter. Add the remaining ingredients, but do not add all the remaining flour at once. When you get a soft, elastic dough that doesn't stick to fingers, stop adding flour. You may not use all the flour. (Honestly, I used a SHITLOAD amount of flour. More than this recipe called for.) Let the dough rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Take heaping tablespoonfulls of dough, and form into S or O shapes, or make into small braids like I made. See my blog for a pic in May archives. Place cookies onto prepared baking sheet. Beat egg yolks with some water and brush over cookies. Bake until golden brown for approximately 16 minutes, depending on your oven. Remove from oven & cool. ENJOY! Great with milk or coffee!
2 Comments:
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...
you tempt me to learn cooking.

Blogger Marianna said...
Hey thanks, y'all. This blog is actually a collaborative effort from a few people who have great taste! lol...

My Dad says I should open up a restaurant, Jason... I tell my Dad he should come help me!