All About Food
Good food, good recipes, good cooking tips, good drinks,
and anything else an epicurean might dream up!
Friday, May 20, 2005
My Big Fat Greek Cherry Brandy
This is a Greek liquer that is meant to be drank in SMALL quantities ~ shot glass & sipped. It's homemade in the summer time because it uses the heat of the day to cook it.

** 2 1/2 cups of cherries, take the stems off ~ you can leave the seeds in
** 5 cups of sugar
** 2 whole cinnamon sticks
** 15-20 whole cloves
** 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
** 1 1/2 quarts of brandy

I took a large sized pickle jar (the largest one you can find at the grocery store), wash it out very well & put all ingredients EXCEPT for brandy in it. Seal it very well with the lid & place outside where direct sunlight will hit it for 40 days straight. You must have very warm temperatures ~ over 85 degrees ~ to do this. Since I live in Texas, I make this in June or July since it gets to be over 95 during that time frame.

I have ants in my neighborhood, so one thing I did to keep them away is I placed the jar in a flower pot bottom dish with water. The bugs won't go in it because of the water. I just keep the dish full of water at all times & make sure the outside of my pickle jar is clean before I place it outside (clean from any sugar or scents that will attract insects).

After the 40 days is over, I strain the cherries using a strainer lined with a cheese cloth doubled over. Only the juice goes back into the jar. I strain it 2 or 3 times, depending on how much stuff is left after each straining. After I place the juice back into a large jar, I add the brandy. I bought a medium-priced brandy. I let it sit in a cool, dry place for another 10 days & it was ready to go into individual bottles!

I've only made this once ~ 2 years ago ~ & I seem to remember that it wasn't quite as sweet as I wanted it to be, so I might add another cup of sugar this year just for fun. This is an after-dinner drink, something that makes dinner just oh-so-fine!
9 Comments:
Blogger Laura said...
*hic*
~L.

Blogger Peanutt said...
I'm 100% greek and mmmmmmmm, I LOVE IT!!!!! Keep 'em coming...maybe now I can give my mom some competition!!! (not really, Moms the best cook I know!)

Blogger Peanutt said...
P.S. Is it okay to add you to my blog so I can keep finding those yummy recipes with ease?

Blogger Taylor said...
Mmmm sounds tasty!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a neat concept... I'll be back...yum yum.

Cheers!

This sounds really, really good. great summer time, or anytime really, beverage!

Thanks for the times you've visted my blog!
Shoegirl

Blogger Nicolette said...
Is there an alternative to 40 days in the sun? In MN that's pushing it!

Blogger Kerry M. Conway said...
wow-i have never made greek cusine-thanks for sharing-i feel a change in blah coming-i am going to cook something tnat is posted via this wonderful blog! *smiles* thanks for sharing =)

Blogger LesleyinNM said...
Thanks! I always wondered how to make that yummy brandy. I will try to remember the "small doses" part.