All About Food
Good food, good recipes, good cooking tips, good drinks,
and anything else an epicurean might dream up!
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
My Big Fat Greek Turkish Meal
There is a meal I make called Tagen. Let me give you a bit of background first. When I was stationed in Italy, I had to go to Turkey for surgery on my wrist (a cyst). The Air Force didn't have a hospital to do the surgery in Italy, so I was medivac'd to Turkey for the pre-op, surgery & post-op stuff on base at a very nice hospital. Once at the hospital, I was also given free time to go wander around & do some shopping off-base. GREAT shopping, if you ever get the chance! Cheap & very good quality stuff. I wish I had bought more. In the local economy, I would go to this one restaurant across the street from the base to eat & they had this meal called Tagen. I have searched on every search engine for years on how to make this meal, even gotten on a chat room to find out if anyone can help me figure out how to make this recipe. Well, for years, I have not been able to make this meal. Finally, one day about a year ago, I knew in my head I could try to re-create it best I could based off of what I remember when I was there in 1995. I know, it's a stretch, but I thought I would give it a try anyway! Based off of my feeble memory off of a meal I had MAYBE 5 times max, this is what I came up with. I hope you like it. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like it, depending on how much of the spices you put in it.

I use milanesa steak. It's a thin cut (VERY THIN) steak that I cut up into very small cubes ~ I'm talking 1/2 inch pieces. In the meantime I put some extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan (and while I'm at it, dab a bit behind my ear... lol.. kidding!) & set the stove on a medium heat. I add the following seasonings to the meat that's been cut up: season salt, paprika & chili powder. And I'm not easy on the last 2. I like mine spicy! When the oil is hot, I add the cut up pieces of meat & keep swirling it around until it's all cooked. At this point, add 1 can of diced tomatoes & 3/4 can of water & bring temperature down to a low-medium heat. While this simmers, I add MORE seasonings (the same ones from above)... again, I like mine spicy, so I tend to add a bit more paprika & chili powder. I also add 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. This takes away the tartness of the tomatoes & gives it a slightly sweet taste. Just another taste!

Finally, while all this is cooking, I also make some instant rice ~ usually brown rice because I like the healthy benefits of it & after a few more minutes of letting the sauce & spices "marry" together, I put the rice in a pasta bowl & pour some of the meat mixture on top! Voila! Enjoy!
1 Comments:
Blogger Leesa said...
Sounds yummy girl..might have to fix it for the HUB!